Thursday, March 21, 2013

Quickie!


This here is  a "quickie" post.  Just had to share.  
As you know, I am a 
Foodie:

n.Slang A person who has an ardent or refined interest in food; a gourmet.[1]
Further, a foodie seeks new food experiences as a hobby rather than simply eating out for convenience or hunger. While gourmet and epicure can be used as synonyms they have fallen out of favor and bring to mind a stodgy or snobbish attitude. 
Yep - that'd be me.  Total food snob.  I-LOVE-FOOD.  BUT - it has to be delicious food.  I would rather starve than eat something unremarkable.
This becomes a real problem when you are on a "restricted" lifestyle program of sorts.  Recall - I am now living a life with very few carbs and even fewer grams of sugar.  Me???  The sweet tooth connoisseur??  Therefore, as a foodie, I am devoted to finding recipes for amazing carbless food.  
One thing has eluded me.  BREAD!  I have tried recipe after recipe for bread using almond flour, coconut flour, egg whites...BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
A few days ago I get an email from my kindred foodie Robin. She tells me she made a flaxseed wrap that was pretty darn great.  Well - I've heard THAT before.  But, as always, hope springs eternal and I got the recipe (from the book called Wheat Belly, btw.  You really should read it and get disturbed...)  (And then read The Science of Skinny and really flip out!)
I am here to say, "F'ing awesome wrap!!!"  I ate my first delicious, carbless sandwich and it was the BOMB!!  I spread it with my homemade mayonnaise (regular mayo is made with the deadly canola oil so I won't touch it), and layered it with fresh vegies, sliced roasted chicken and avocado.  O-M-GGG.

Robin?  I LOVE YOU!!!! ♥♥♥♥

(Now Tracy, my dearest friend since you were 15 and I was 21, YES - you were the first to tell me about the awesome flaxseed wrap.  But I wasn't listening real good.  Or I wasn't in a place where I wanted to try making it.  So whatever the reason - I give you the credit for telling me about it and I apologize for not making it and giving you the kudos!!!)

At any rate - here's the recipe.  Note:  I made it very savory. My next trick is to make it "sweet" - stevia perhaps?  With cinnamon?  And then fill with berries and perhaps whipped cream a yogurt topping?


Wheat Belly Flaxseed Wrap

Number of servings: 1


Ingredients


3 Tbsp ground flaxseed (I used Golden Flax seed)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 Tbls. coconut or olive oil
1 large egg
1 Tbsp Water


Mix the flaxseed and baking powder together.  Add the oil and mix well.  Add egg and water and mix well again.  Pour half into the bottom of a greased 10 inch pie plate (the bottom will measure 8 inches) and put in the microwave for 2 minutes.  Let sit for 5 minutes and then turn over the wrap and fill.

NOTE:  I doubled the recipe and made 2 wraps.  Also - I added some garlic powder, onion powder, ground black pepper, cayenne and Sunny Paris from my favorite spice store Penzeys.  You can add anything you want to make it more or less savory. 

As I said above - for the "sweetie", I would add stevia and cinnamon.

The second day I made them, I doubled the recipe and made 3 thinner wraps and I liked the thinner better.  Robin quadrupled the recipe and made 6 wraps and stored them in the fridge.




So - there you have it - SANDWICH JOY!  To this I say...

PS  Trac?  I love you too!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. LOL, F'ing awesome wrap. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try this!! Did I say thank you? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mark's comment!!!! Remington is a Newfoundland dog. We all miss him!! Wish I could try your recipe....but I am highly allergic to flax!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this Joey! :) Guess what? I found you through pinterest so the Pinterest world is catching on to your posts! :) ;) exciting times :). I love the texture of wraps so I will have to make this for my family in the near future. Best, ~Dawn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, have I ever replied to your comment? I was just re-reading some posts and there you are! Thank you for taking the time to write me and I AM excited about Pinterest

      Delete