Sunday, February 28, 2016

I LOVE WINTER (EXCEPT THIS YEAR)

Well - so much for the girl who loves snow.  What a disappointing winter.  You must understand something about me.  I despise March and April.  I don't like the gray and the rain and the mud and the wind.  I love every other month of the year - EVERY one!  But not those 2.  And what did January and February look like?  THOSE 2!  I know there were a few weenie small snowstorms but just not enough for this snow loving girl.  Does this mean that I must endure FOUR months of ugly??  I hope not.  I am really hoping that we get that early spring that we never get anymore.  Wouldn't THAT be JOYful?  I'm IN!  


And EARLIER kayaking?  YES!!! 


  
I did catch JOY with the lower oil bills!  Both from less use of fuel as well as the lowest oil prices of my adult life!  So I looked for it and found it - fuel JOY - who knew?  I also caught the same JOY from my weekly gasoline bills!  Wow - I feel rich!  Seriously.  Disposable income never felt so good.  Now if I could just stop my family from wanting dinner every night...haaaaaa!

Speaking of dinner, I'm making a favorite Pampered Chef recipe tonight.  No - I am not a Pampered Chef entrepreneur.  But I DO love some of their recipes and I adore some of their kitchen tools.  Like the lemon squeezer (except for that pesky screw that keeps falling out), their garlic press and their mini chopper.  Use all 3 of those tools daily and bring them on every vacation I take where I know I'm cooking that damn dinner they all want every night.

Anyway - here's the recipe:

Warm Lemon Chicken Salad

Ingredients:


8 oz. sugar snap peas
1 1/2 lbs “B” size red potatoes
2 tsp salt
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 oz each)
2 tbsp Lemon Pepper Rub, divided
1 lemon
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium red bell pepper
1/2 small red onion
1 jar (6 oz ) marinated artichoke heart quarters, drained
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)


Directions:

Place peas and 1/4 cup water into bowl.  Microwave, covered, on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; rinse under cold water and set aside. Slice potatoes.   Place potatoes, salt and enough water to cover into bowl.  Microwave, covered, on HIGH 13-16 minutes or until tender, stirring twice; drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat Grill Pan (I use caste iron fry pan) over medium heat 5 minutes. Rub chicken with 1 tbsp of the rub.  Spray Olive oil in pan.  Cook chicken 7–9 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 165°F (74°C) and juices run clear, turning once. Remove from pan; set aside and keep warm.

For dressing, juice lemon to measure 2 tbsp. Combine juice, remaining rub and garlic pressed with Garlic Press in small bowl. Slowly add oil, whisking constantly; set aside.

Thinly slice chicken, bell pepper and onion. Combine peas, chicken, bell pepper, onion, artichokes and parsley, if desired, in mixing bowl; mix well. Add potatoes and dressing; toss gently. Serve warm.
Yield: 6 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 300, Total Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 50 mg, Carbohydrate 26 g, Protein 21 g, Sodium 600 mg, Fiber 4 g


DELISH!

Well, this is a shorty this morning as I am off to walk Daisy who is now a fat beagle has put on a few pounds this ugly winter.  Trying to get in my 10,000 steps today too.  Did well the beginning of the week but slacked off as the gorgeous rain and wind moved in on Wednesday.  

As an aside - can I just tell you that my new profession as my 3 (yes THREE) teenagers' chauffeur, has put me more on my a$$ than upright?  I need to do something about that.  It is not pretty.  I must say, I DO catch JOY imprisoning them in the back of the car where I can talk AND listen to them and their friends and they can't escape.  (Ha - who am I kidding.  Can you say cell phone?)

So off I go to continue my Sunday.  JOY to you and yours!

PS - notice how I posted this as if I post every week rather than once in almost a year?  Don't ask - just enJOY...




No comments:

Post a Comment