Saturday, March 31, 2012

There Are No Coincidences

So I opened this women's gym back in 2005.  I named it THE FITNESS CONNECTION.  Little did I know that Connection would be the operative word rather than Fitness.  I see approximately 70 women 2x a week (and a man!  Yes - men DO come and the women KICK their ASSES they get their ASSES kicked!  Trust me!)


When there is THIS much estrogen in one place?  ALOT gets accomplished.  Well actually - with my demographic, there is less estrogen than one would think.  LOL!  Afterall, most of my girls are either peri or in full blown YOU KNOW WHAT!  Ha!  

Anyway - back on subject...


My friend Robin sent this to me the other day and you know what?  My story that follows, really gets to the heart of this matter.  Here goes:


'Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater. If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby. If you give her a house, she'll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal. If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart.
She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her. So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive a ton of shit.'



So here's the scoop.  As the years have gone by, it has been pointed out to me that my gym not only offers a great body to it's clients but so much more bang for your buck.  It offers:  Therapy.  Friendship.  Bonding.  Encouragement.  Sympathy.  Empathy.  AND INFORMATION!  I can not tell you HOW many connections are made on a weekly basis. 





 Need a painter?  You'll find it at The Fitness Connection.  An orthopedic doctor?  The Fitness Connection.  Need a daycare?  The Fitness Connection.  A contractor?  Fitness Connection.  Need someone that wants a job?  You got it - THE FITNESS CONNECTION.  My girls have hooked up piano sales, painters, jobs, doctors, babysitters, clothes sales, dog sitters, exercise equipment, interior decorators, a masseuse, DOGS!  It's unbelievable.  The Fitness CONNECTION is more than just a gym.  Connections are made EVERY SINGLE DAY and it is mind blowing.  The following connection is so far, THE best ever.


One of my Tuesday/Thursday clients - I'll call her Irish Mist - was feeling ill in the middle of a workout a few weeks ago.  She felt a migraine coming on and decided to leave.  Irish Mist has a history of seizures and she had been complaining to her Neurologist and her internist about a vision issue for a few days but her doctors were not responding to her pleas.  


The next week, Irish Mist just happened to pop into a Monday/Wed class (not her normal day for class) to make up a missed class from the previous week.  After class she was asked by another client - who happens to be a neurologist - how she was doing.  Irish Mist started telling Dr. "Angel" what was going on with her and how scared she was and also shared her frustration with her doctors not taking her seriously.  Dr. Angel suggested she visit the emergency room.


Well - long story short -errrr, Irish Mist did just that and after tests showed something was going on, she was referred to a Neurological Opthamologist (NO for short) for follow-up and diagnosis.  Unfortunately, Irish Mist called 3-4 NOs and all had a 4-6 week waiting list!  One could DIE before one gets treatment in this country.  It's INSANE!


Anyway - Dr. Angel, being the awesome person she is, called Irish Mist a few days later to find out how she had made out.  Irish Mist explained the findings at the ER and  how upset and worried she was about the long wait to get in to see an NO.


A day later, Dr. Angel called Irish Mist back with a small miracle in her black bag.  She had gotten Irish Mist an appointment to see an NO the very NEXT DAY.  Do you get the picture?  Women?  Connection?  Results?  Un-F'ing-BELIEVABLE!  


I can not express the JOY it brings me to see these connections unfold daily in front of my eyes.


Epilogue:  I'm not sure this should be coined "epilogue" because we do not have the complete results of Irish Mist's condition but...the very night Irish Mist told her regular class members about this "gift" from Dr. Angel, she told us the current findings and ended saying she really needed to be on a prayer line.


After the class ended, I texted a mutual client/friend who knows Irish Mist AND Dr. Angel from The Fitness Connection.  I told her about what had happened with Irish Mist and how in awe I was at the connections at work in my gym.  This is what she texted back:


"I love love love Irish Mist.  She is one of my all time favs.  I will put her on the prayer line..."  


  


My friends?  There truly are no coincidences...




     







2 comments:

  1. Love this post and I (even though a man) totally get it, because what I see with my wife and her clients. Totally great way to connect for sure. What a nice lady to take it upon herself to get that next day appt. People are nice aren't they?
    Here's hoping Irish Mist is ok. Great weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Women sure do rock! Hope Irish Mist will be okay...

    ReplyDelete