Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Summertime Winding Its Way

We are in the home stretch of the lazy days of summer.  As you know, I can't wait until the three littles go back to school!  Afterall - I have not had one moment alone in close to 2 months!!!!  This coming from the girl who has kind of laid out a perfect day.  Train clients from 6am -10am.  Free of ANYONE in the house unless I invite them - for FIVE hours every week day!  Talk about shell shock on the first day of summer vacation?  How about the 6th day?  HOW ABOUT THE SIXTH WEEKKKKKKKKK???????

At any rate - my goal was to make this a fun summer not only for the littles, but also for me.  The best way to accomplish this is to plan.  Plan activities outside the home before we kill each other...

I think I did a pretty good job.  We beached it.  We hiked.  Ate Beach Donuts.  We did local tourist attractions.  Fished.  Went out to breakfast.  Frequented Dari Serv.  Had sleepovers.  Went away on vacation.  I think I did pretty darn good...

Yesterday we hiked the Sunflower Maze.  I wouldn't say it went GREAT...as the maze is filled with harmless bees that my oldest was quite terrified leery of.  I was fine!  I actually enjoyed their fear.   



He is trying to smile for the camera as he dodges the deadly dive bombing bees - NOT.  They totally ignored us but he would hear the buzzzzz and well...you get the picture.






On the way home, I decided to stop at Dari Serv the best Italian market EVER.



I love this market.  They have so much good stuff.  The meats are phenomenal.  The baked goods, cheeses, salamis, sandwiches, prepared foods, fruits, vegies, seafood - it's all stuffed into this little tiny market reminiscent of the South end of Hartford/Franklin Ave. where I was born.  You locals need to stay away so it's not so crowded go there!  It's in Durham.

Lobster was $4.99/pound and I splurged on 6 and my hub and I easily consumed all 6.  I tried a "recipe" a client talked about in class one night that she prepared on her Maine vacation.  Here's what she texted me.  It was soooooo delicious.  I am a purist and have NEVER prepared lobster any other way than to steam it and eat it with butter and lemon.  I will do this again.  Thanks Peggi D!!!!


Lobster is par boil them till almost fully cooled .  Leave it in the shells but break it into pieces, tail claws etc. crack the claws but leave them in the shell and mix together lemon and lime juice and lots of cilantro some ancho chili powder melted butter a little pepper if you want and just pour it over the lobster in a big bowl making sure it gets into the cracks of the claws tail etc. and them put then on the grill for five minutes or so. When cracking the lobster apart do it over the bowl your going to use to save the juice so that all ends up with the lime lemon mixture.

Unfortunately, I was so busy stuffing my face I forgot to take a picture until it was just a pile of shells...

I mean - I AM the MAMA of the three little pigs...that would make me the Mama pig, right?










Anyway - I caught wisps of JOY in the maze because I adore sunflowers.  (I was dying to cut myself a big ole bouquet.)  Of course - what JOY is there NOT to catch eating lobster???  So, all in all, I think I did good on this 2nd to last summer Monday.  On to the 2nd to last Tuesday...

SUMMER JOY

No comments:

Post a Comment