Sunday, October 30, 2016

All Hallow's Eve!

I always thought All Hallow's Eve was tonight.  You know - MISCHIEF NIGHT!  The night before Halloween?  Apparently, I am wrong (a rarity - LOL!)  See below:

Halloween or Hallowe'en (a contraction of All Hallows' Evening), also known as Allhalloween, All HallowsEve, or All Saints' Eve, is a celebration observed in a number of countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day.

Growing up Catholic I should know this.  The night before All Saint's Day.  Halloween is always the night before All Saint's Day (which is apparently All Hallow's Day) and I will never forget having to go to church that evening after Halloween be
cause my pockets were always filled with goodies collected the night before and that entertained me during mass.

Anyway - lesson learned at age 59 years 4 months old.

Anyhoo - every year we carve a bunch of pumpkins.  We spend a whole evening as a family carving away and drinking rum ciders roasting pumpkin seeds and creating masterpieces.  THIS year we could NOT find a span of time where all 5 of us could be together.  3 Teenagers in the house is INSANE!  Sports, jobs, social engagements...the list is endless and I finally shoved 2 hours into our Sunday late morning schedule and made everyone create masterpieces.





Mine's the best Aren't they great!

So that was pretty JOYful.

But my Day 38 of JOY moment today was returning to the ice rink tonight after a 7 month break from team skate and hooking up with my fav skating moms.  I love my moms!  I have lost a few across the years and I miss those who have moved on.  But us "elders" are still here and even after 7 months, it was like no time had passed. 

Come to think of it?  That 7 months went fast!  Time is going speeding out of control!  What the heck???  Anyway - but for 1 season in 2014 that I wish to forget, my Brooke has been skating team since 2010.  It's always a JOY to walk into Wesleyan University Athletic Center each Sunday night all winter.  It may sound crazy - after all - who wants a commitment every Sunday night, October - March??  

Venturing out into the cold and dark on a night everyone else is holing in and getting their last licks of the weekend before the school/workweek starts all over again?  I guess I do.  I found JOY tonight like I always do and that makes me happy.  I get to watch my girl skate and I get to blab it up with my moms.  Yup - JOY and I know I will miss it when it's all over in 3 years, so I am holding on to every moment.

PS - Apparently, since it's mischief night, there's some mischief going on because I can't get this post to appear normal so bear with the messy up top.  No clue...HAPPY HALLOWEEN TOMORROW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment